About The Software & Cloud Negotiation Practice
Gartner Analysts are industry thought leaders that create expert research while bringing best practices and research models to life across a broad range of world leading organizations. A Sr. Principal, Analyst is a trusted source of advice and deepens personal value for clients every day by providing high quality, timely insight and must-have-research - content that is provocative as well as pragmatic. They meet with clients daily via virtual meetings or e.g. face-to-face interactions at Gartner events. They promote a clear vision for the evolving markets at the local, regional and global levels. These interactions help clients reach better decisions, solve complex issues and create solutions that lead to better performance and successful outcomes. To support these conversations you will research markets, practices and trends as well as produce written research for Gartner clients to download and apply.
This opportunity provides you with an incredible platform and team to amplify your impact in an intellectually stimulating and fun environment with boundless career potential. The Software & Cloud Negotiation Practice within SPVM comprises the forefront of Gartner’s expertise dedicated to helping clients achieve software- and cloud deals that are optimally structured, safe and commercially optimized. You will therefore develop a deep understanding of client roles. You will become a trusted advisor of such clients and help them understand how to take optimal action on their current priorities and understand what their next priorities should be. Our thought-leadership allows us to “see around corners”, anticipate changes in technology and capabilities and how those will impact their initiatives.
The successful candidate will have expertise in software- and cloud services contracting and negotiation with particular experience of negotiating, primarily with SAP but preferably with additional experience with other large software and cloud providers. The candidate should bring an understanding of SAP’s (and other vendors’) major programs, contracting models and pricing / discounting approaches - both on premises and in the cloud. They should have a good grasp of nuances of software- and cloud terms and conditions, how they are typically negotiated and their financial impact. They should not only understand how to negotiate effectively with SAP (and other vendors) but also what key areas of the contracts are typically negotiable and to what extent.
The successful individual will have a background in software- and cloud licenses, technology procurement category management, software asset management, or related leadership roles within a buying organization, consulting firm, reseller or vendor. This should be augmented by an understanding and curiosity about the larger business impact of new technology and business trends on software and cloud contracting models and costs, and how these can be navigated successfully.
The successful candidate will have experience and knowledge to guide Gartner clients in buying and negotiating on-premises software- and cloud deals. They will conduct their own research in contract negotiation best- and next practices, especially for SAP, but can expand beyond to neighboring fields as required. They will also guide clients on the commercial impact of new technologies and business trends on existing software license and service portfolios. In addition, the responsibilities of the successful candidate will include the following:
- Conduct innovative, fact-based, must-have research and analysis around client key initiatives and specific areas of expertise targeting client’s most pressing objectives
- Lead a body of research and be recognized in the industry as a subject matter expert to develop a following
- Provide high quality and timely research internal review
- Lead or participate in research meetings to discuss research issues and collaborate effectively with peers in a diverse, multicultural global team
- Demonstrate thought leadership in establishing research positions across teams of analysts
- Cover the specified area as well as applicable adjacent areas, while maintaining a view across a broad spectrum of the market to produce thought-leading, impactful, analytically-deep, fact-based research. Remain ahead of the curve on developments within these specified areas, as well as applicable adjacent areas
- Analyze on-premises / cloud proposals and guiding buyers with corresponding negotiation strategy, pricing and contracting
- Be relaxed- and adept in engaging C-Level executives competently and convincingly while establishing- and growing a strong, trusting relationship
- Create materials for clients to deliver in person, via video conference or webinar and event presentations
- Create and deliver high value presentations and other materials for Gartner conferences and for small groups of clients and/or prospects
- Deal effectively with the media
- Support more junior team members’ development through mentorship and coaching
- Proactively support other internal stakeholders across relevant research key initiatives and on client calls
- Maintain a high client focus with a view to progressively and relentlessly improving the customer experience for Gartner clients
- Help drive proactive engagement and help clients/prospects make progress against their critical priorities to grow their business
- Drive client demand through client engagements and by presenting at Gartner conferences.
- Assist the Sales organization in selling to prospects and retaining existing clients by demonstrating high-impact, tailored insight.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience; Graduate degree preferred
- 8-10 years of relevant field- or industry experience
- Recent hands-on negotiation experience, at minimum with SAP (= within last 12 months). Experience with larger, complex solutions (software and services) deal negotiation experience is preferred.
- Experience with negotiation strategies, software license compliance risk assessment, management and/or mitigation in software audit context, particularly with SAP, but also generally, is a plus
- Exceptional analytical skills; ability to apply conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions. Proficient in analyzing and synthesizing data; can effectively apply patterns and frameworks to client challenges and demonstrate learning agility
- Strong market research skills, proven in a procurement, asset management or negotiator role
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, supporting the workflow of others, in a diverse, multicultural global team
- Strong project planning / management / organizational skills; ability to work under tight deadlines and produce high quality material
- Strong written and verbal interaction; ability to engage clients and respond effectively to questions. Ability to distill and explain complex ideas articulately, succinctly and effectively
- Excellent presentation skills. Ability to perform well on-stage as well as in smaller groups, face to face
- Strong business and financial acumen
- Demonstrates executive presence; can immediately establish credibility with executives and additional stakeholders in strategic procurement
- Subject matter expert comfortable with presenting at large- and small-scale speaking engagements
- Exceptional coaching, influencing and leadership skills
- Flexible thinker adept at change and experienced navigating highly matrixed environments
- Innate curiosity and interest in related fields.
Who are we?
Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Our expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s most critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have nearly 16,000 associates globally that support our 14,000+ clients in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a variety of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index.Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:76053
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.